Sunday, August 14, 2011

I Survived...Barely

Today was the dreaded......Stake Conference. I have always enjoyed Stake Conference, especially the Saturday evening session, which is an adult only session :). Even after having children we managed to make it through in one piece and with most of our hair in tact. Today was a different story. Let's just start off by saying that there were no seats available except on the stage. I have memories as a child thinking the stage was such a cool place to sit, but as an adult, the charm has definitely worn off. Of course, the conference was right in the middle of Emi's naptime, so Dev took her out to see if he could get her to sleep, which he usually can. I was left to fend for myself with Brigham and Takara. Normally I am able to handle this in a somewhat capable manner. I don't know if my children ate bowls full of sugar for breakfast or if someone fed them "don't listen to your mother pills", but I might as well have been talking to the wall as much as they listened to me. I couldn't get Takara to stop talking or singing, and I couldn't get Brigham to stay in a chair, on my lap, or even sitting on the floor for more than 3 seconds. What has happened to my parenting skills? I realized that I probably should have had slightly more realistic expectations, and probably should have stayed in the hall after the fourth or fifth time I had to take Brigham out, but I guess I am a glutton for pumishment. I have never felt so discouraged as a mother as I did walking out of that meeting. Alas, we made it through and after the hour drive home I was feeling a little better as I got my adorable sleeping children out of the car. I believe I have learned a few valuable lessons for our next Stake Conference. I will try again in six months, and hopefully my report will be a little more uplifting. :)

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry it was such a pooty day. Stake Conference is the pits with little kids. The good news is.... today will be better!! Talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete